Spring is known as the time for change and new beginnings. Meanwhile, summer is known for glorious weather and spending as much time as possible outdoors.
These two seasons are also when the real estate market spikes with many new listings on the market.
Winter, on the other hand, is when life slows down, events are centered on family and the home, and snow takes over.
Here are things to bear in mind when selling in winter.
Winter is Somewhat of a Buyer’s Market
- BUYER’S MARKET: When there are more properties available than people looking to buy. This means, homes may sell for less than they would in a seller’s market.
- SELLER’S MARKET: This occurs when there are more people looking for homes than there are available homes on the market. This results in bidding wars and higher selling prices.
In Winter, Houses Sit on the Market Longer
You can well imagine how fast-paced and active the housing market is during spring and summer.
So if you’re looking to sell your home during the winter, there are two things to be aware of:
- You will see fewer showings.
- Offers will take a bit longer to come forward.
Something else to take into account is that winter coincides with the busy holiday season upon us.
Due to Christmas shopping and New Year’s, many potential buyers will be on a tighter budget, possibly delaying their home buying decision until January or beyond.
Having said this, it also means that the showings and offers you do receive will be from serious and motivated buyers.
Homes During Spring/Summer Show Better
When selling in winter months, it is a good idea to plan in advance and have photos saved up from summer months, to show the landscaping in its full glory.
Put it this way: If you were looking at a photo of a home covered in snow, or a home with a lush, well-kept curb appeal, which home would be more appealing to you?
Lack of Light During Winter
Ask any real estate agent, and he or she will tell you that natural lighting is extremely important when trying to sell a home.
Unfortunately, during the winter months, due to daylight savings time, days are shorter and natural daylight is limited. As a result, this makes it harder to showcase your home to its full potential.
3 Things to Do If You Are Selling During Winter
If you do decide to list your home during the winter season, be sure to do these things to make your home more appealing (and safe) for potential buyers:
- Keep your property free of snow and ice. Clear your driveway, walkway, and sidewalk. This keeps your home safe for visitors and makes it more accessible and welcoming too.
- Clear your front/back porches and decks. Again, this makes your home more appealing and allows people to get a sense of what your outdoor living spaces look like.
- Add welcome mats for the interior and exterior. This warms up your entrance and provides a spot for wet shoes.
Homes By Jalaj Arora Can Help You Sell in Any Market
If you are deciding between selling and waiting, Homes By Jalaj Arora will come up with a strategy for getting the best deal, regardless of the market.
Working with an agent you trust, who won’t push you beyond what you’re comfortable with, or rush you into making a decision, is key to coming out ahead.
That’s exactly what you’ll get when you work with Homes By Jalaj Arora.