If you plan to put your home up for sale, you want to make sure you sell it for the best possible price.
The proven way to do this is to properly stage your home in ways that will make a huge difference in the eyes of potential buyers and lead to a more favourable offer.
How can you do it? Your Homes by Jalaj Arora experts have tips on how to stage your home to help your home sell faster.
1. Update your curb appeal
The front of your home is the first thing people see, and oftentimes, home buyers will drive by the home first to decide if it is even worth looking inside.
So it is highly important to make sure the exterior of your home is inviting and clean.
- Clean, or power wash walkways, siding, and windows
- Ensure your house numbers are visible
- Plant blooming flowers to place near your front door
- Make sure your front lawn is green
- Add a welcoming doormat and if you have the space, a few pieces of porch furniture
- Install lighting to your pathway or driveway, and be sure to leave porch lights on especially if you are showing your home in the evening
2. Clean your house
Potential home buyers don’t want to see your clutter and mess. When they view your home, they want to be able to envision themselves living there.
This is the simplest and cheapest way to help your home look best, and if you’re serious about staging your home, all clutter must go.
Clean every surface in your home from the floors to windows, counters, tile grout, and closets.
By making everything in your home sparkle, you’ll be well on your way to getting more offers on your home.
Another important thing to note: If your home is less cluttered, it will look like it has more space, which is exactly what buyers are looking for.
While it is important to make sure your house looks clean and neutral, you still want your home to look lived-in.
If you simply clean everything and clear out your home, it will look cold and uninviting.
After you’ve cleaned and cleared the clutter, bring in a few tasteful design elements to get some life back into your home, such as fresh flowers or a fruit bowl.
3. Style the furniture in your rooms
Taking the time to arrange the furniture in your living and dining room is important, because it shows the versatility and sizes of the rooms.
In living rooms, symmetrical furniture arrangements work best because it offers balance and promotes conversation in a room, both of which are important elements of a home.
The dining room is often neglected in home decor, and can look bare in-between meals. During home staging, it’s a great idea to increase appeal by adding table decor or flowers.
4. Don’t forget your floors
While you’re cleaning your home, give your floors a thorough sweep, mop, and vacuum. And don’t forget to also inspect the condition of your floors.
If your floors are in poor condition, consider having them refinished. But if you don’t want to invest in refinishing your floors, area rugs cover flaws and make great decor additions as well!
5. Use neutral colours
When staging a home, it’s important to use neutral colours, because they help homebuyers envision themselves living in the house and they give the home a refreshed feel.
It’s also recommended you avoice bold colours, which are a more personal touch.
Rich, earthy colours like off-whites, tans, and grays help to create a sophisticated aesthetic that will match any interior decor.
6. Bedrooms are key selling points
Aside from the kitchen and living area, the bedrooms are key selling points of a home because they are places of refuge.
Take the time to clear away clutter and personal items, and make these rooms as neutral as possible.
- Appeal to everyone by creating a gender-neutral master bedroom. Adding in fresh, new linens and artwork are bonus steps, but just as effective.
- Closet space is important, and can make-or-break a home sale. Clear out extra items and leave some empty space, so that it gives the illusion of extra space.
- Clean up the toys in kids’ rooms, so that you give home buyers the impression that a clean and organized childrens’ room is possible in this house.
7. Incorporate the seasons
Depending on what time of the year you will be selling your home, you should go the extra mile and think seasonally while staging your home.
- If it is the spring or summer, make sure your garden and landscaping is in pristine shape. If you have a pool, be sure it’s sparkling. If you have a patio, decorate the outdoor table with flowers.
- If it is in the fall or winter, bringing a cozy feel to your home is the best way to sell during the colder months. Build a fire in the fireplace or burn some candles throughout the home, to make it more cozy.
Want a FREE home staging consultation?
If you’ve decided to sell your home, you want to make sure you get the best price. But how?
A FREE home staging consultation will provide you with a professional insight and opinion on your home based upon first impression.
Want more information?
If you still have questions about home staging or selling a home, contact us. We can help you understand how to stage a home for quick sale, and more. We’re always happy to help!